If you’re considering making a trip to Ottawa, the capital city of Canada, you’ve definitely given some thought to the question is Ottawa worth visiting, and whether or not your time there will be well spent.
After all, it is not the largest city in Canada, and it does not have the same reputation as a number of the other places in Canada that are popular with tourists. So, what exactly is it that Ottawa is famous for? And what are the most enjoyable activities in the city of Ottawa?
In order to assist you in determining whether or not it would be beneficial for you to go to Ottawa, we have compiled a list of everything pertinent information about the city.
Is Ottawa Worth Visiting in 2023?
If you call yourself a Canadian but have never been to Ottawa, we believe that visiting this historic city is something you should do at least once in your life. It is a wonderful city to wander around in, and there is a plethora of places to go and activities to do here.
You will leave Ottawa feeling proud to be a Canadian and better knowledgeable about the country that we call home thanks to the city’s wealth of historical and cultural landmarks, as well as the essential experience of visiting Parliament Hill.
And if you are going to be in Canada on vacation, we believe that you should make the effort to spend some time in Ottawa as well.
Even though it isn’t the largest city in the country, it provides some of the best opportunities to learn about Canadian politics, history, and culture as well as some of the best experiences you’ll find in the eastern half of the country.
Your time in Canada will be even more memorable if you take advantage of the convenient opportunity presented by a visit to Ottawa to see the French-speaking cities of Gatineau and Hull, which are located on the Quebec side of the river.
Because it offers something for everyone, including thrilling outdoor activities, fascinating museums, and mouthwatering cuisine, Ottawa is certain to be one of the highlights of your journey to Canada.
For What Ottawa Is Famous For?
As the location of both the buildings that house Canada’s Parliament as well as the official residence of the Prime Minister, Ottawa is widely regarded as the political heart of Canada.
In addition to some stunning examples of historic architecture, this location holds a significant amount of political history. In addition to this, Ottawa is well-known for its monuments, museums, festivals, and other year-round events.
It is also a completely bilingual city, which means that if you come from an English-speaking background, it is time for you to brush up on your French, my good friends!
When you think about Ottawa, you might picture yourself roller skating on the Rideau Canal while munching on a deep-fried Beaver Tail (no, this does not refer to the actual tail of a beaver).
You may be familiar with the ice carving competitions that take place during the renowned Winterlude Festival in this city. Or, if you’re anything like us, pictures of red and white lights flashing on Parliament Hill during Canada Day probably come to mind.
Because it is known for all of these wonderful things to do and even more, this legendary city in Canada is undoubtedly one of the most interesting and unusual cities in all of Canada to visit.
Canada Visa Guide
Canada is one of the easiest countries to get citizenship by naturalization. For this reason, it is also very easy to apply for and get a Canadian visa. There are various types of visas available for different purposes.
When applying for an online Canada visa, you should be very careful about the information you provide. Though the visa application form is not complicated, it needs to be filled out with accurate information. It is important to apply for the right type of Canadian visa.
Tourists should apply for a tourist visa or for Canadian eTA that allows citizens of various countries to visit Canada without having a traditional paper-based visa.
You should provide your latest passport-size photograph for visa approval along with other documents. Use a valid email address while filling out your online Canada visa application so that you can get your eTA in your mailbox.
Top Attractions in Ottawa for Tourists
When you have decided to visit Ottawa, you should also know what will be your travel plan in Ottawa. Here are the top 10 attractions in Ottawa for local and international tourists:
- Parliament Hill: The iconic center of Canadian politics, visitors can tour the historic buildings, watch the Changing of the Guard ceremony, and enjoy stunning views of the city from the Peace Tower.
- Canadian Museum of History: This world-class museum offers a comprehensive look at Canada’s history, from its First Nations roots to the modern day.
- Rideau Canal: A UNESCO World Heritage site, the Rideau Canal offers visitors the opportunity to take a leisurely boat ride, bike, or skate along its historic waterway.
- National Gallery of Canada: This impressive art museum feature works by some of Canada’s most famous artists, as well as international masterpieces.
- ByWard Market: A vibrant neighborhood filled with shops, restaurants, and cafes, ByWard Market is a great place to explore, sample local cuisine, and pick up souvenirs.
- Canadian War Museum: This impressive museum explores Canada’s military history, from the early days of the country to modern conflicts.
- Confederation Park: This beautiful park is home to several monuments and sculptures, as well as a playground, pond, and gardens.
- Ottawa Locks: The Ottawa Locks is an impressive engineering feat, and visitors can watch boats and ships navigate the locks and learn about the history of the canal.
- Canadian Museum of Nature: This natural history museum is home to a wide variety of specimens and interactive exhibits, making it a great place for families to visit.
- Gatineau Park: Just across the river from Ottawa, Gatineau Park offers visitors the chance to hike, bike, or ski through its beautiful wilderness.
This is Kyle Thomas, a professional writer, and a news editor. I started my career as a blogger who writes on various topics and then I decided that I should join a NEWS agency where I can work as a NEWS reporter. So, I joined a renowned agency in the town as an internet and after getting 2 years of experience, now I am working as a senior NEWS reporter for The Daily NEWS Times.